Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 1998:
Re: [aclug-L] modem

To: Truong Do <tcdo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] modem
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 17:24:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Truong Do wrote:
> On RedHat OS, I believe this would correspond to

> /dev/cua0
> /dev/cua1
> /dev/cua2
> /dev/cua3
> I try all of these and still get the error, but I haven't try the devices
> you point out.

Any Linux distribution that I am aware of will have both the /dev/cuax and
/dev/ttySx (where x = 0-3) devices. The /dev/ttySx devices send raw data
to the serial port "uncooked", whereas the /dev/cuax devices will modify
things a bit. I have had better luck with using the /dev/ttySx devices in
most cases.

> It does work with win 95, but I haven't try other dialout software.

> It is an internal US Robotic 28K/36K modem

Does the modem happen to be a US Robotics WinModem. WinModem being the key
word here. If so, you are out of luck. A WinModem will NOT work with
Linux. It requires special drivers that work only with Windows operating
systems. I can imagine that you would get the errors that you are getting
if you are using a WinModem.

> John says it might be the gated package.  Let me remove it and let you
> know.

That is a good idea. See what happens.

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Technical Support
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963