Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2009:
Re: sync hangs without any kind of error message

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: sync hangs without any kind of error message
From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 21:25:11 +1000

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Arian Kuschki wrote:
>
>> I am a new user and trying to sync my Gmail account for the first time. At
>> downloading thousands of emails at some point offlineimap just stops syncing
>> without any indication why. The screen looks like below and will not change
>> anymore:
>
> What version of OfflineIMAP?

I have what looks like the same problem, on the latest Debian/unstable:

Package: offlineimap  Version: 6.1.1
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (101, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.30-1-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)

Versions of packages offlineimap depends on:
ii  python                        2.5.4-2    An interactive high-level object-o
ii  python-support                1.0.3      automated rebuilding support for P

This is on the initial IMAP to IMAP sync, on the second pass, where it
actually copies messages up from my "local" store to the "remote" store.

The first pass, which does a lot of this, but no actual transfer of email,
works fine as far as I can tell:

Copy message -3244 MappedIMAP[community/sage-au/tech] ->
    LocalStatus[community.sage-au.tech]

In my case, the local store has content, remote is completely empty; I presume
this is why the hang happens in this way.

When it hangs a bunch of python threads seem to be waiting on futex results,
and the local IMAP server waiting for poll to return activity.

Things that don't help:

1. Running with '-1'
2. Limiting to 1 connection on either remote or local.
3. Running with '-d imap', '-d thread', or under strace, all of which allow
   offlineimap to get a lot further, but not actually complete.
4. Using a TCP connection to the remote IMAP server.
5. Using a preauth tunnel to the remote IMAP server.

Regards,
        Daniel