Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2009:
Re: regular folder validity problems

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: regular folder validity problems
From: Christoph Höger <choeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:43:15 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 01.07.2009, 13:41 -0500 schrieb John Goerzen:
> Christoph Höger wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > since I use offlineimap I am struggling with regular folder validity
> > problems with my uiversity account. I figured out they use uw-imap.
>
> The key to your UID validity problems, unfortunately, is most likely
> uw-imapd.
(forgot to CC the list)

Yeah, I know that this is not offlineimaps fault, but offlineimap
suffers from it.

There are mainly two questions:

1. Why should an imap server change that uid at the start of a mbox? (I
checked - it really does!) On the uw-imap that very issue was discussed.
Someone said this could be because of SPAM mails abusing X-IMAPbase
header.

2. Could offlineimap do a more aggressive merge (maybe on a user
switch). I would argue that every imap server is backed up - so the
chance of loosing email server side is very small. That means:
re-downloading the mbox is pretty straight forward (as mentioned in the
manpage). Also, if NEWUID > OLDUID you can be quite sure that
re-indexing would be suffice.

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: Dies ist ein digital signierter Nachrichtenteil