Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2007:
Re: why not use IMAP FLAGS?

To: mailtags discussion list <mailtags@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, offlineimap list <offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: why not use IMAP FLAGS?
From: martin f krafft <madduck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:32:37 +0200

also sprach Stewart Smith <stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2007.07.26.1457 +0200]:
> offlineimap and large folders works a *lot* better with my sqlite
> localstatus patch.... even with relatively small (~10,000) boxes.
Is this patch scheduled to be accepted upstream?

> keep in mind that file system restore for large directories can be
> rather painful due to the amount of log activity generated by growing a
> directory that much and creating that many inodes (and block
> allocations).
>
> but perhaps i'll just sit over here in my corner throwing things at
> maildir for being broken in that regard :)

It's the way it is. How is it broken? You may not *like* it, but it
does what it claims to do perfectly well, doesn't it? If filesystems
or tools can't handle large numbers of inodes, then I'd say it's
their fault. It's 2007 and we have gigabytes of RAM and fast disks
everywhere now.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx

"there are two major products that come out of berkeley: lsd and unix."
 one caused me an addiction
                                                             -- fyodor

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: Digital signature (GPG/PGP)