Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2007:
Re: why not use IMAP FLAGS?

To: mailtags discussion list <mailtags@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, offlineimap list <offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: why not use IMAP FLAGS?
From: martin f krafft <madduck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:36:28 +0200

[cross-posting since this is relevant to both lists, please keep
both lists in the recipient list unless the discussion moves too far
away from offlineimap].
also sprach Florian Friesdorf <flow@xxxxxxxx> [2007.07.25.1444 +0200]:
> So in IMAP a tag would be stored as keyword I_am_a_tag (didn't check whether
> it
> may contain spaces). Maildir also allows custom flags (see [1]), however, they
> are limited to one character.

â?¦ and they cannot be queried from the mail user agent.

> A solution might be extended attributes see [2], they are supported on a wide
> range of filesystems of different operating systems.

Again, these are not accessible to the mail user agent, even though
they'd be my vehicle of choice. That, or putting the tags *into* an
RFC822 header, which would not need *any* modification in
offlineimap.

But the major problem, doing stuff this way, is that all mail ends
up in a single folder, and I am not sure how well offlineimap (or
even mutt [0]) deals with folders of tens of thousand messages.

0. http://bugs.debian.org/434544

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx

"the liar at any rate recognises that recreation, not instruction, is
 the aim of conversation, and is a far more civilised being than the
 blockhead who loudly expresses his disbelief in a story which is told
 simply for the amusement of the company."
                                                        -- oscar wilde

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: Digital signature (GPG/PGP)