Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2007:
Re: why not use IMAP FLAGS?

To: martin f krafft <madduck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: mailtags discussion list <mailtags@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, offlineimap list <offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: why not use IMAP FLAGS?
From: Stewart Smith <stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:57:43 +1000

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 12:36 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> But the major problem, doing stuff this way, is that all mail ends
> up in a single folder, and I am not sure how well offlineimap (or
> even mutt [0]) deals with folders of tens of thousand messages.
(assuming good file system)

reading and insert of a few messages isn't too bad...

although opening them all, reading a bit (the header) and constructing a
full list... a heck of a long time (and disk seeks).

the *only* way this becomes usable is if the MUA keeps its own index

offlineimap and large folders works a *lot* better with my sqlite
localstatus patch.... even with relatively small (~10,000) boxes.

keep in mind that file system restore for large directories can be
rather painful due to the amount of log activity generated by growing a
directory that much and creating that many inodes (and block
allocations).

but perhaps i'll just sit over here in my corner throwing things at
maildir for being broken in that regard :)
--
Stewart Smith (stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.flamingspork.com/

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part