Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: March 2005:
Re: offlineIMAP status?

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: offlineIMAP status?
From: Charles Marcus <CMarcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:03:15 -0500

>> I ran across this tool and was wondeirng if it is still being actively
>> supported.

> Yes, it is, though mostly in a fixing bugs way.  As far as I'm
> concerned, it's "done" and there aren't major new features to add.
>
> However, I may at some point write my own IMAP client library and
> re-implement it in terms of that.

Hi John,

Oh, ok - well, I guess that would explain why devel seemed to stop
around June of last year. I like that! Software that actually reaches a
'done' stage! What a concept, huh? ;)

I was especially interested in this comment from the manual:

"OfflineIMAP is SAFE; it uses an algorithm designed to prevent mail loss
at all costs. Because of the design of this algorithm, even programming
errors should not result in loss of mail. I am so confident in the
algorithm that I use my own personal and work accounts for testing of
OfflineIMAP pre-release, development, and beta releases. Of course,
legally speaking, OfflineIMAP comes with no warranty, so I am not
responsible if this turns out to be wrong."

I am more concerned about data loss than I am performance, so this was
comforting.

Also this:

"With OfflineIMAP 4.0, a powerful new ability has been introduced -- the
program can now synchronize two IMAP servers with each other, with no
need to have a Maildir layer in-between."

So, I guess my main question is, how well does it work with two Cyrus
IMAP servers that have about 30 user accounts, some with only an Inbox,
Drafts, Templates and Trash folders, and others with 30 or more folders.

What I want to do is the following - maybe there is a better way to do
it? I'd appreciate any comments, especially from someone who understands
the IMAP protocol well enough to write offlineIMAP... :)

1. Public facing Web/Secure IMAP server (SuSE SLES9 running Cyrus IMAP),
behind an ISP provided firewall, with only necessary ports open.

2. Internal File/Mail server (also running SLES9, Cyrus IMAP), behind
another firewall that has all incoming ports closed.

3. Clients on internal LAN talk only to the Internal IMAP mail server
when in the office at full gigabit (LAN) speeds.

4. People from outside the physical office talk to the Public server.

5. I want the two servers to stay in sync at all times - although a
delay of minutes is obviously completely acceptable.

This would provide (in my mind) maximum security *and* speed for IMAP
email sessions for employees when in the office. I don't want to force
all of our internal users to access the public mail server through a
firewall if there is a way to avoid this.

Currently, we are using an outsourced email hosting provider, and the
speed, because it is all IMAP, and because we deal with a lot of large
attachments, is *very* slow. I want the new system to scream, but I am
nervous about security.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments you might have.

Best regards,

--

Charles Marcus
I.T. Director