Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: February 2005:
Re: "Can't create mailbox node" with fastmail.fm IMAP <-> IMAP

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: "Can't create mailbox node" with fastmail.fm IMAP <-> IMAP
From: Simon Waldman <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:35:21 +0000

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> * Simon Waldman (Feb 09, 2005 19:30):
>
>>It is, however, still very unstable. If I do something as audacious as
>>moving a message onto the local server from elsewhere, without it
>>having come via the remote system, offlineimap tends to crash on the
>>next sync.  This is often a UID problem. It may always be a UID
>>problem for all I know, but it's not always obvious. Anyway, it seems
>>quite plausible that this is simply because the local IMAP server is
>>broken.
>
> Eh, how are you moving these messages?  Are you appending them properly
> to the maildirs?

What maildirs? It's mboxes.
But the answer is that Thunderbird puts them there. For instance, if I
send a message then Tbird will save a copy into the "Sent" folder on the
local IMAP server. Or I might use Thunderbird to copy a message from a
different account to the local IMAP server. In either of these
situations, offlineimap often chokes at the next sync.

> Why don't you run courier locally?  It's not like it's that bad,

:-) I will try it. I had initially stuck to the basic "imap-2004"
package because it requires no configuration whatsoever, but "just
works". I don't know anything about Courier, but I tend to think of it
is a much more heavyweight system which may require more effort and I'd
imagine will probably require more memory, etc.

that's just why I didn't try it first - I will try it when I get some
time to see if it makes all the problems go away.

--
On the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent
than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York,