Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: February 2005:
Re: "Can't create mailbox node" with fastmail.fm IMAP <-> IMAP

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: "Can't create mailbox node" with fastmail.fm IMAP <-> IMAP
From: Simon Waldman <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:18:28 +0000

Apologies, this reply got sent direct to John my mistake, instead of to
the list. Any help anybody can offer would be much appreicated!

John Goerzen wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:54:08AM +0000, Simon Waldman wrote:
>
>>standard mandrake "imap-2004" package, for use with Thunderbird) with
>>fastmail.fm.
>

> That sounds like UW imap.  FWIW, this one is known to be not fully
> compliant with the IMAP spec.  Unfortunately, the ways in which it is
> not fully compliant are ones that tend to cause trouble for OfflineIMAP.
> I don't think people lose mail over it, but they do get weird problems
> like you're experiencing from time to time.

Ah :-(

I do have rpms here for Courier as well, but that seems like overkill
for one user!

> Is /home/simon/Mail/INBOX a directory or a file?  If a directory, can
> you show me an ls -la of it?

It's a directory. It only exists, AFAIK, because of Fastmail (which is
Cygnus) putting everything under INBOX/whatever, and me not setting up
any translations. Therefore offlineimap created the INBOX directory on
the local IMAP server.

[simon@blue INBOX]$ ls -la
total 56
drwx------  2 simon simon 4096 Feb  7 17:41 ./
drwxrwxrwx  3 simon simon 4096 Feb  7 17:41 ../
-rw-------  1 simon simon  509 Feb  7 17:41 Deal with at home
-rw-------  1 simon simon  509 Feb  7 17:41 Drafts
-rw-------  1 simon simon 6465 Feb  7 17:41 Keep
-rw-------  1 simon simon  509 Feb  7 17:41 lists
-rw-------  1 simon simon 5132 Feb  7 17:41 Personal
-rw-------  1 simon simon  509 Feb  7 17:41 Sent Items
-rw-------  1 simon simon  509 Feb  7 17:41 Trash
-rw-------  1 simon simon 8678 Feb  7 17:41 Work

That does accurately reflect the folders that are present on my fastmail
account.

One thing occurs to me: I couldn't find any particular documentation on
setting up the local account as an IMAP server. I assumed that I should
simply do the same as the remote server, using "remotehost",
"remoteuser", etc. Is this correct?

Thanks again.

--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.