Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Problem with two-way syncing

To: Jean-Michel Hiver <jhiver@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problem with two-way syncing
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:32:11 -0500

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 11:19:34PM +0100, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> After doing this operation I relaunched offlineimap. Shock and horror,
> it deleted the message which were moved, but did not sync the locally
> created mailboxes back on the IMAP server!

> Any ideas what went wrong?

Well, nothing really, though I can see your surprise.

OflineIMAP does not create folders on the server, since detecting exactly
what is a folder on the local side can be problematic.  However, if you go
to your server and create the appropriate folders, the messages should be
synced up to it and you should be OK.  (Back up your local folders first
though -- I've never tested this particular situation before.)

In other words, creation of folders is a one-way operation.