Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Getting wireless card working under RH9

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Getting wireless card working under RH9
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:47:02 -0500

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 19:41, you wrote:
> Anybody ever got SOHO cable free wireless to work under red hat???  I have
> a internet blaster from SOHO, and the PCMCIA card to go with it.  I have
> never got it to work with linux.  It is five years old and is 802.11a. (or
> b or something)
>
> Mike

Post the device and manufaturer IDs and I might be able to help, either that
or the chipset it's based on.

run 'cardctl info' (with the card in) and the line like "
MANFID=0000,021b" is the one you want (in this case it's a compusa $20
rtl8139 card)

btw, anyone who gets one of the $20 or $30 compusa-brand 802.11b cards, you
need to download the cvs and have the kernel source to compile it. (it's at
atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net)

Another troubleshooting tip, if possible have something nearby running
kismet, or try without WEP inititally.

James L