Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Open Office Calc help requested

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Open Office Calc help requested
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 20:44:43 -0500

* bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx> [2003 Apr 19 20:08 -0500]:

> If I understand the problem, you have, for example: "3/28/03" in cell
> c12, d14, and e5 and you want to change all to "4/4/03."
> Put the "3/28/03" in c12  and put "=c12" in d14 and e5.  Then when you
> change c12, d14 and e5 will be changed automatically.  You only have to
> change the one place.

That was exactly it, Bruce.  As I wrote in my reply to Anne, this
doesn't work when the cell format is text.  When a cell is formatted for
text and tyoe in =a2, for example, what OO shows is '=a2'.  Once I
changed it to a date format, all worked well.  I guess I was having one
of those mental stumbling blocks...

> OO calc seems to be lacking some of the features of excel and gnumeric,
> but it does the above correctly.  You might look at gnumeric, which is
> what I use for golf scores, bank balance and auto mileage.

Nice to know that gnumeric is quite functional.  I settled on OO as I
already had some old account files in SO 5.2 format that I didn't want
to lose.  At the time I had no idea I was going to be using Calc so
much.

Thanks.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and