Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Internet Gateway help

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Internet Gateway help
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:25:36 -0600

On Sunday 23 February 2003 09:02 pm, you wrote:
> As my first step to moving to linux I need to create a
> gateway for my network.  Right now my server runs XP and is
> the gateway both I would like to change this to a more secure
> gateway.  So here is what I want to do.  I came upon an old
> computer that should work just fine.  The specs are:
> P90
> 64mb ram
> 4mb video
> 1 gb harddrive
> Idealy I want this computer to run with only the floppy and
> no hard drive (would this be reliable?).

You are talking about Frazierwall.  www.frazierwall.com   You
need two ethernet cards.  Your p90 will do fine, no hard-drive
required, 16 MB memory minimum, any old monitor (I used an EGA
monitor for months).  You will boot it, pull out the floppy
disk and let it run for months in ram.  And it's a good
firewall.

One problem, you need a Linux box to build the flex.  Solution
is to email Ken Frazier with the network card types and he will
build you one.

The down side: this is so simple you won't learn a thing about
Linux.

For a Linux workstation, you will need a bit more power than
the system you described - probably P200 and 2GB.  Get a RedHat
distribution and try it.

bruce