Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Kool download complete linux off of CD Works

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Kool download complete linux off of CD Works
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:18:09 -0600

On Tuesday 17 December 2002 09:44 pm, you wrote:

> > > I downloaded it and burned it to a cd.  IT WORKS runs
> > > totally off of the cdrom!!!  Anybody wanting a copy of it
> > > email me and we can get together. Or, you can follow the
> > > link and download the image (iso) file.  700 Meg! Grab a
> > > cup of coffee.  It even has wine, open office and KDE
> > > desktop, real KOOL!!
>
> You're Looking at the future here so keep an eye on it.

Well, UUUHH, Maybe not yet.

It may not be a fair test, trying it on such a minimal machine,
but I loaded it on to my 133MHz, 32MB, 40X CDROM server machine
and It does most of what it should.  But very, very, very
slowly.  It is doing something with the hard disk, I suppose it
uses it for a swap file.

The screen is 640x480 virtual 1024x768 and the mouse cursor
moves it around as it should, but slowly.  Repeated use of
cntl-alt-plus brings up two other screens which are out of sync
with this monitor.

It comes up in KDE 3.0 (eventually) and surprised me by loading
pages from the internet with Konqueror.  Took about a minute to
bring up my home-page, but took four minutes to bring up the
main google page.  It somehow found the correct 192.168.xxx.xxx
number on the hard disk to get out through my firewall.

It found the sound system and played a song with xmms, but it
was unrecognizable since it was running at about one-fourth
speed (the clock on xmms took about four seconds to change one
second).

A terminal window took over five minutes to come up in KDE,
partly because I clicked on the icon twice (seeing nothing
happening at first, I clicked again) and it eventually brought
up two terminal windows.

cntl-alt F2 puts you back to the text mode and this worked a
little slow, but otherwise pretty normal.  Getting back to KDE
requires cntl-alt F5 instead of the normal cntl-alt F7.

All things considered, I was quite impressed with it, in
particular, what a good job it did in configuring.  Found and
identified the sound card, the ethernet card, the graphics
card, keyboard, and mouse.  When I can get my hands on
something with more memory, I want to try again.  I suspect not
enough memory is the main bottle-neck.  And see what happens
with a blank hard-drive.
bruce