Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Kool download complete linux off of CD Works

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Kool download complete linux off of CD Works
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:05:53 -0600

I guess that depends on your purposes.  If you just want a web terminal, or
something that lets you demonstrate Linux's capabilities, I suppose that's
useful.  Although things like that have been around for nearly a decade at
least.

Demonstrations and perhaps diskless or "static" workstations (such as you
might find in a public place--a library, university, cybercafe, etc) are the
only real 'niches' I see for such a system, and neither of those niches are
very large, and both have been filled for quite some time already... so I
still don't quite understand what all the excitement about "the future" is.

I remember in '97 or so a Slackware-based distribution that could run off of
a 100mb Zip disk plugged into the parallel port... plug the zip drive in and
put in a boot floppy and whammo, there you go.  Linux ready to run in 100mb.
That even allowed you to store information on the zip drive, too, so you
could have a "portable" Linux system that you could potentially even store
emails or bookmarks or other such things on.

Booting from a CD is easier (requires only a CD, no plugging things into
your parallel port) and faster, but also means you can't store any dynamic
configuration.  For demonstration purposes, or the other purposes I
mentioned above, that's fine, though.

And in most cases where you need to store a dynamic configuration, you'll
want a full-fledged Linux install anyway, and not a zip-disk (or similar)
system :)

-- Jonathan