Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] Re: SBC DSL promo

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: SBC DSL promo
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:11:33 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <marcbachman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 10:22 AM
Subject: [linux-help] SBC DSL promo

> I am considering moving to DSL and am seeking some guidance on what to do
> myself as far as installation, and what to let SBC do. They say I can't
have
> a static IP unless I let them install it and its obvious they want to
> install their cards on any machine that I hook up. Since I think I want to
> use a gateway/firewall, I think I shouldn't have more than one direct
> hookup, but the static IP is my biggest question. Has anybody had success
> with the static IP setup? If so, what did it cost to have them do it, and
is
> there any real benefit to letting them do it, as in will I absolutely keep
> my static IP? I actually called them to find out but since I'm not already
> customer they don't want to talk to me. Also, is their firewall any good?
> What does it do? How about Linux compatibility?

SBC DSL

(1) Depending on your phone number here in Wichita you will either have DHCP
or PPOE connection.
(2) SBC will not connect you unless you are running Windows or a MAC
(3) SBC does not support HUB, ROUTERS, GATEWAYS of any kind.

But other than the above the service that I have has been great!  Sure I
have a DSL Gateway and LAN ROUTER.. but if something happens to my
connection I have to plug the cable from the modem directly into the PC or
no support.

While I have not used the service due to the fact that I might of ended up
with out "DSL" Internet service for up to 60 days during the change over...
SCTELCOM had a great price going for DSL service and their tech support
dept. does support LINUX.. do not know if they are offering a static IP
address yet.... but the rate for DSL with local phone service was less than
half of SBC!

--David