Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] Re: SBC DSL promo

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: SBC DSL promo
From: Lars von dem Ast <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:15:08 -0500

marcbachman@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I am considering moving to DSL and am seeking some guidance on what to do
>myself as far as installation, and what to let SBC do. They say I can't have
>a static IP unless I let them install it and its obvious they want to
>install their cards on any machine that I hook up. Since I think I want to
>use a gateway/firewall, I think I shouldn't have more than one direct
>hookup, but the static IP is my biggest question. Has anybody had success
>with the static IP setup? If so, what did it cost to have them do it, and is
>there any real benefit to letting them do it, as in will I absolutely keep
>my static IP? I actually called them to find out but since I'm not already a
>customer they don't want to talk to me. Also, is their firewall any good?
>What does it do? How about Linux compatibility?

I've got DSL synchronous in Moundridge and it's just like a regular
TCPIP network connection. I had to provide my own 10/100 card, and Linux
setup has been no problem. They (Moundridge Telephone) provided a
hub-looking box to which the phone line comes in and a network cable
goes out to my box. It blinks like a modem. I also have a static IP
address. RH Net configuration is a snap.  I asked Carrollsweb if I could
host my own Web servers and they said yes...until I wanted to point a
domain name to my address, then they wanted $10/month. Otherwise, I
think DSL acts just like any other TCPIP network connection, i.e.,
easier than even the latest PPP connections.

As far as "letting them do it" I'm sure it's an additional charge and
I'm also sure they'll balk at Linux and treat you like an al-Quaeda
leper. They might want to install software to hinder any P2P stuff you
might do with a static IP, or other such Big Corporate Brother crap.

Lb