Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: RH-7.2 Printer -

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: RH-7.2 Printer -
From: Bob Goodwin <bgoodwi3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:06:17 -0400

This is a simple local printer and I have been trying to test it with
the printtool ascii test
or just ls | lpr.

cat /etc/sysconfig/network produces this -

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

And my command line prompt becomes -

[root@x1-6-00-04-5a-75-69-1e root]#

Ugly if nothing else and it uses too much space on the line.
It is essentially the hardware address shown in ifconfig.

Now I can change HOSTNAME=box1

And the long hex number at the command prompt becomes box1
which is what I would prefer to call this computer once I get my
switch back from Linksys.

If I set

NETWORKING=no

my dhcp connection to the cable goes away.  That seems reasonable?

But with this HOSTNAME [localhost.localdomain]  the print function
complains about a bad hostname, and I observe that when starting Window Maker
[startx]
a message flies past "unknown host" -

[root@x1-6-00-04-5a-75-69-1e root]# lpd
2002-08-19-15:32:28.107 Get_local_host: hostname 'x1-6-00-04-5a-75-69-1e' bad

If I change the HOSTNAME to box1 the print function lpd no longer protests
about
the "bad" name but no data seems to reach the printer in either case.

These problems came about after I last installed RH-7.2 from the CD set I
purchased from BestBuy
and which worked without a hitch before.  In fact the system is near perfect
except for the
inconvenience of not being able to print and I don't know enough to
troubleshoot it properly. It seems
that I have something messed up in an initialization file but I can't find it.

The reinstallation came about after I lost a lot of equipment in a lightning
stroke! Originally I had
box1 networked with box2 via a Linksys 5 port switch and the whole mess worked
nicely.

If you can make any sense out of these symptoms?  I read and try to
apply everything sent me ...

Thanks.

Bob G