Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: RH-7.2 Printer -

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: RH-7.2 Printer -
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:02:11 -0500

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have a problem with printing from RH-7.2.
>
> I get the following results -
>
> [root@box1 root]# /usr/sbin/checkpc -f
> Warning - lp0: cannot open lp device '/dev/lp0' - Permission denied
>
> Permissions here look ok -
>
> [root@box1 root]# ls -l /dev/lp0
> crwxr-x---    1 root     lp         6,   0 Aug 30  2001 /dev/lp0

My permissions are:
[root@wannabe /]# ll /dev/lp*
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   0 Apr 11 09:25 /dev/lp0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   1 Apr 11 09:25 /dev/lp1
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   2 Apr 11 09:25 /dev/lp2
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   3 Apr 11 09:25 /dev/lp3

> Then if I do "lpd"
>
> [root@box1 root]# lpd
> Fatal error - Another print spooler is using TCP printer port,
> possibly lpd process '1367'
>

> I don't know how to deal with that message?

lpd is already running, and can't be run twice.

You can use "/etc/init.d/lpd restart" to restart it, or you can do it
from the printtool gui  after saving the changes.

This message also indicates using a TCP port for printing. Did you set
the printer up as local or as a network printer.?

> I have tried setting up the printer from printtool and webmin
> with the same result. When I print a test page from printtool
> it seems to think it works, says it sent it to the printer [an old
> Panasonic KX-P1091i] but the printer does nothing.

Did you check the print queue using lpq ?

Did you reatart the lpd after setting up the printer so it was aware of
the change ?

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Oh yes, I have a second hd with W98 on it and set up the printer there out of
> desperation,
> it works normally, so the hardware would seem to be ok. I have never had a
> problem printing
> from Linux that I can recall.
>
> Bob G

Jeff Vian