Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Any ideas?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Any ideas?
From: John Heffington <john1982@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:36:37 -0500

james wrote:

>On Saturday 20 July 2002 18:52, you wrote:
>
>>Any ideas as to how to make my sound clear as a bell w/o clicks and
>>breaks? The sound server keeps telling me that it cannot schedule a
>>realtime priority w/ my sound card. It recommends using artswrapper or
>>setuid as root. I tried artswrapper and it did set realtime (50) then it
>>said that tmp/mcop-John is not the owner. Any ideas n how to fix this?
>>Thanks!!!
>>

>Arts is KDE's sound server. Usually it is a pain (with some systems, because
>most drivers don't support multiple opens of /dev/dsp (sb 512, live and above
>do, as do I believe the es137x cards. and some others)
>
>Either I missed it or you haven't said what sound card you have. (And distro-
>I think you are using rh7.3 based on other emails, if not please say) also
>helpful would be what lsmod (which driver it is) and potentially dmesg
>reports. (not the whole thing, just what relates to sound (for example I have
>a Creative card that uses the emu10k1 and ac97_codec so that would be all I
>need.)
>
>To me it seems like a messed up kde config. I used to have it on a computer
>with a pretty bad sound card with older versions of rh. either that or the
>sound card and driver aren't well supported.
>
>The tmp/mcop-John (assuming John is your username) should be owned by
>john.john (chown john.john /tmp/mcop-John) *
>
>James L
>

>*most unixes and clones (*nix) don't have people use any capital letters
>because it makes things more difficult at times. If you did set it up this
>way, you should capitalize any letters caps in the username, becasue unlike
>DOS/Windows, *nix is case sensitive.
>

>>BTW, Anne, I DO NOT qualify with what you described to me. But I do plan
>>on takine the complete comupter science course @ WSU. Also, is it hard
>>to become A+ certified? If not, then I might ry to take the test.
>>
>>Chow!

Hey James, I did dmesg and here is the info about my sound card

Via 686a audio driver 1.9.1
ac97_cedec: Audio codec, id: 0x4358:0x5429 (Unknown)
viz82cxxx: board #1 at 0xE000, IRQ 10
via_audio: ignoring drain play back error -11
via_audio: ignoring drain play back error -11
via_audio: ignoring drain play back error -11

This is what it gave me. I did do the chown command successfully. Thanks
for the help. Would it be better to use ALSA intead? Thanks!