Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Any ideas?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Any ideas?
From: james <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 02:59:35 -0500

On Saturday 20 July 2002 18:52, you wrote:
> Any ideas as to how to make my sound clear as a bell w/o clicks and
> breaks? The sound server keeps telling me that it cannot schedule a
> realtime priority w/ my sound card. It recommends using artswrapper or
> setuid as root. I tried artswrapper and it did set realtime (50) then it
> said that tmp/mcop-John is not the owner. Any ideas n how to fix this?
> Thanks!!!

Arts is KDE's sound server. Usually it is a pain (with some systems, because
most drivers don't support multiple opens of /dev/dsp (sb 512, live and above
do, as do I believe the es137x cards. and some others)

Either I missed it or you haven't said what sound card you have. (And distro-
I think you are using rh7.3 based on other emails, if not please say) also
helpful would be what lsmod (which driver it is) and potentially dmesg
reports. (not the whole thing, just what relates to sound (for example I have
a Creative card that uses the emu10k1 and ac97_codec so that would be all I
need.)

To me it seems like a messed up kde config. I used to have it on a computer
with a pretty bad sound card with older versions of rh. either that or the
sound card and driver aren't well supported.

The tmp/mcop-John (assuming John is your username) should be owned by
john.john (chown john.john /tmp/mcop-John) *

James L

*most unixes and clones (*nix) don't have people use any capital letters
because it makes things more difficult at times. If you did set it up this
way, you should capitalize any letters caps in the username, becasue unlike
DOS/Windows, *nix is case sensitive.