Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Runlevels, and graphical logins

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Runlevels, and graphical logins
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 19:00:59 -0500

bruce wrote:

> On Thursday 06 June 2002 06:02 pm, you wrote:
> > When the system is booting, it reports that it is entering runlevel5.
> >
> > But I don't get the associated graphical login.  It boots as if it is
> > actually booting to runlevel3.
> >
> Based on the above, I would guess it is trying to boot in runlevel 5, but
> failing something important so drops back to level 3.  You may be able to
> verify this with shift-pageup to see the messages that went by too fast.

Sorry to be pedantic here, but you're confused. If you boot to runlevel 5,
and the graphic login fails, you're still at runlevel 5 -- there's no change
to the runlevel -- the only thing is that the graphic login failed. You
should still be able to hit ALT-CTL-F1 (F2, F3, F4), log in non-graphically,
run /sbin/runlevel, and see "N 5" for runlevel 5.

Similarly, if you boot at runlevel 3, log in as root, then run:

  /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

and everything works as it should, you'll get the graphic login, you can
login, open a tty, and run /sbin/runlevel, and it will print out "N 3",
because you're still at runlevel 3.

The only reason why runlevel has anything to do with X is because there is
a line in /etc/inittab that tells it to do something different at runlevel
5 than at runlevel 3 (namely, run /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon).

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/