Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Runlevels, and graphical logins

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Runlevels, and graphical logins
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 18:29:23 -0500

On Thursday 06 June 2002 06:02 pm, you wrote:
> When the system is booting, it reports that it is entering runlevel5.
>
> But I don't get the associated graphical login.  It boots as if it is
> actually booting to runlevel3.

Based on the above, I would guess it is trying to boot in runlevel 5, but
failing something important so drops back to level 3.  You may be able to
verify this with shift-pageup to see the messages that went by too fast.

If this were my problem, I would set it to boot in level 3, find out for sure
what the horizontal and vertical frequencies of my monitor are, and examine
the monitor sections of /etc/X11/XF86Config.

If the frequencies in XF86Config were correct for your monitor, then I would
run startx 2> tempfile.  This would put the error messages of startx in
tempfile.    startx examines each modeline for suitability with the hor. and
vert. frequencies and tells why each was rejected.  If all are rejected, the
monitor is deemed unsuitable for level 5.

I have several times "adjusted" the hor and vert frequencies enough to get
everything working.  (Like monitor spec said Hor = 31.5, 35-36 and I needed
36.4 so I put in 31.5, 35-36.5).  You should find one close and don't adjust
too far - can be harmful to a monitor - or so they say.

good luck,
bruce