Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Help with hackers

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Help with hackers
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:08:30 -0500

Are the hack attempts being done strictly via network, or at the console
as well?

If strictly via the network you might achieve the (real time) logging
and a nasty message by using portsentry.  Portsentry however takes the
place of the service that might otherwise be running on that port since
only one socket can listen on a single port with a given protocol at a
time.  Portsentry is configurable as to what action you want to take.
You can also tell (after-the-fact) the success of any breakins and what
has been done by using tripwire to log and report changes in your
system. You define the parts of the system you want to monitor and what
action to take here as well.

You have not indicated what services you have running, nor what methods
might be used in the hacking attempts.

If the ONLY account on the system is root, RH Linux AFAIK has never
allowed remote logins via telnet as root.

Redhat 6.2 has several known weaknesses in the services it runs by
default and if these services are running it could be a lesson to the
hackers on where to find information on known hacks rather than an
attempt to find ways on their own to break in.

With no services running there is no point they can attack, thus no
weakness and no way to get in.  nmap can be used to scan for listening
services/ports that might be vulnerable.

From the console that is another issue.