Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Help with a good Linux reference utility?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Help with a good Linux reference utility?
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 07:29:40 -0500

* root <kryste01@xxxxxxx> [2002 Apr 20 00:58 -0500]:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good Linux book or guide related to
> networking and security.

Hi Adam.

I'm not sure of whether you're looking for online resources or
tree-ware.

Online there exists the Linux documentation Project which has several
guide books on various topics.  Go to http://www.tldp.org/guides.html
and look for the The Linux Network Administrator's Guide, Second
Edition.  It's getting a bit old with the last update in March 2000, but
has a wealth of general network information.

For security there is also the Linux Administrator's Security Guide at
http://www.seifried.org/lasg/  However, it appears incomplete, but may
well have a lot of the information you're looking for.

If you are using Debian, there are a number of manuals available at
http://www.debian.org/doc/ that may also help with other distributions
as well.

Don't overlook the HOWTOs most likely installed with your base
distribution or the latest versions can be found at
http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto  These are generally task specific
documents that focus on configuring some aspect of your system in a
general way.

If you prefer tree-ware, you can do worse than the O'Reilly books
available at Borders, B&N, etc.

> I have so many questions, but few that I think would be of interest the more
> advanced users using this facility.

Ask away!  The forum exists to help YOU!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and