Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Help with a good Linux reference utility?

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Help with a good Linux reference utility?
From: "Adam M. Sennott" <kryste01@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:16:58 -0700

Thanks for all the useful info, Nate!

Okay, I will start with a few brief questions.  Anyone who would like to
answer, please do, anyone who would like to ignore, please do.

1.  What is the function of sshd, ssh daemon?
2.  Why does the system send me mail all the time?  I get Logwatch letters
from root@localhost.localdomain all the time telling me that sshd has
started and been killed as well as info about sshd.
3.  What is contained in /etc/fstab?
4.  If I want to send mail from the command line, how can I designate the
reply-to address?
5.  What measures can I take on a network (I use Linux at home as a
standalone machine and also at school on a network, where students are
encouraged to hack one another) to ensure that no one can gain access my
machine (or be discovered if they try!)?

PS- I am using RedHat Linux 7.2 (as root) at home and I believe we'll be
using RedHat 6.0 at school.

Thank you anyone who cares to answer!