Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Printer prints color graphics, but not text

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Printer prints color graphics, but not text
From: bbales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:22:42 -0600

I've got printing now.
Tried James' suggestion - get the cups drivers installed.  But the
linuxprinting.org tutorial emphasized removing existing print drivers before
starting to install and the first step was rpm -e lprold.  lpr is not a
package in RH7.2 - must be built in to the kernel.  The author asks that
anyone who figures out how to do this in RH let him know.  Finally gave up on
this.

Nate got me started looking at drivers and I discovered when I was running
printconf-gui (which replaced the older printtool) I clicked on "bjc6000" and
thought I was selecting the driver.  when I finally _double-clicked_ on
"bjc6000" it gave me a list of drivers.  These included bjc600,
bjc6000a1.upp, omni, and stp.

omni printed the upper left one-fourth of a page on the whole page.  Text
font is about 30 pt.  A capital B measures .16 inch
stp squeezed a whole page into the upper left corner.  Text font is about 3
pt.  A capital B measures .04 inch, but it is quite readable.
bjc6000a1.upp send lots of error messages like "Nonexistent printer" etc.
bjc600 prints nicely at about 10 pt.  Capital B measures .085 inch.

Thanks James and Nate,
bruce