Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Routers, Hubs, & Switches -

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Routers, Hubs, & Switches -
From: Bob Goodwin <bgoodwi3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:00:04 -0500

I would like to "network" two linux boxes ['586 RH-7.2], one of
which is presently connected to the Road Runner cable. Actually
both have eth cards and will work on the cable.

I have been searching for information and am presently in a state
of total confusion about routers, hubs, and switches.  Apparently a
router will connect the boxes together and provide an internet
connection to both?

A hub will allow me to transfer data between computers via ethernet
[my main objective] and with the addition of my old '486 I can
create a router?

Now I have discovered that Sam's Club sells something called a
"switch" that offers similar functions?

What do I need to buy? Will all of these devices tie my boxes
together? What's the difference between a hub and a switch?

Can anyone help on any of these questions?

Bob G -