Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Printer prints color graphics, but not text

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Printer prints color graphics, but not text
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:24:29 -0600

* bbales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2002 Mar 14 23:15 -0600]:

> installing gimp-print, the ./configure went all-right, but the make
> terminated quickly with the following:
>
> ---snip---
> Making all in lib
> make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/gimp-print-4.2.0/lib'
> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
> -I../include
> -I../include -I../intl    -O -c xgetcwd.c
> ../libtool: ../libtool: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [xgetcwd.lo] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gimp-print-4.2.0/lib'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/gimp-print-4.2.0'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
>
> Thinking it was looking for a file named libtool in the directory
>    tmp/gimp-print-4.2.0/lib, I made a symbolic link
> ln -s /usr/bin/libtool   in that directory.
>
> still get the same error.    Help, please,  bruce

Taking a stab at this, Bruce.

Actually, it's telling /bin/sh to look in the directory immediately
above /tmp/gimp-print-4.2.0/lib which would be /tmp/gimp-print-4.2.0
However, it may be that the libtool file exists, but it is trying to run
another program or script that doesn't exist on your system.  For
example, compiling gimp-print may depend on having the header files for
gimp or GTK installed in a system location like /usr/include or
/usr/local/include.

Was there a configure script in the main gimp-print directory?  That
should have created the necessary files.  Sometimes a package's libtool
is a customized version of the one that exists on the system.  Also, I'm
not sure if building the package in /tmp is a good idea.  Some
distributions clean out /tmp on startup.  I've always built packages in
/home/username/src/package-0.0.0 then su to root to do the make install
command.

A bit of advice.  When you run the configure script, call it as
./configure to be sure you're running the script in the current
directory.  Also run ./configure --help to get a list of the options you
can set such as --prefix=/usr/local to put locally built packages in the
/usr/local hierarchy.  As a general rule, /usr/bin, /usr/include, /usr/lib,
/usr/share, etc. are where your distribution installs its packages while
the same directories under /usr/local are where locally built packages
are installed.  Some braindead packages default to just /usr and that
can cause problems with your distribution's packaging system.  At least
Debian works this way.

When you run ./configure pay careful attention to its output and see if
it outputs Yes or No to such things as GTK or Gimp or perhaps even
Gnome.  This is a clue of the dependencies gimp-print has.

Now you know why prebuilt packages are so convenient!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and