Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Routers, Hubs, & Switches -

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Routers, Hubs, & Switches -
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:42:49 -0600

Let me define the terms: a HUB connects computers on a shared medium (think
party line)and sends all traffic to each machine. A SWITCH connects
computers, but only sends each machine the traffic that is destined for it.
A true ROUTER connects different networks together. There are also
"residential gateway/routers"  which most are little more than a hub/switch
with a firewall and NAT (network address translation) built in.

The easiest choice is the "residential router", as this a simple plug and
play situation. It plugs into the cable connection and provides a number of
ports to connect the computers.  The other option is to make the box
currently hooked to the cable modem a router. You would need two network
cards in the box and some reconfiguration of the network rules. This
computer could be connected to one other computer by a simple crossover
cable, or connected to a hub/switch and through which connected to many
computers.

You might want to visit:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html
There are several howto's that explain things in more detail.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vice Chairman & Secretary - info@xxxxxxxxx