Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2002:
[linux-help] Re: XP restore/linux install

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: XP restore/linux install
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:38:55 -0600

Although I have not used ntfs myself, I understand that Linux can mount
the ntfs partitions and access the data.

I do not know how it could be handled during an install, but if the
drive were taken out of the laptop and attached to a linux machine you
should be able to mount the drive as another volume and save the data.
Then put the drive back into the laptop and do the install.

the man page for mount tells me that ntfs is a supported filesystem type
for mounting.