Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2002:
[linux-help] Re: setup scsi scanner

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: setup scsi scanner
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 01:15:25 -0600

I have an Epson Perfection1640 scanner set up on a SCSI interface.
I don't exactly know the answer to your problem, nor for that matter
do I recall exactly what I did to get mine working, but let me throw
a couple of things out at you, and maybe something will click.

First thing is that getting Linux to recognize your scanner is one
thing, getting sane to recognize it is another. The Linux part is
pretty simple to check:

  cat /proc/scsi/scsi

In my case, this shows:

  Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
    Vendor: EPSON   Model: Perfection1640  Rev: 1.03
    Type:   Processor                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Judging from your dmesg, you're probably OK here.

Now, in my /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf file, I have the line:

  scsi EPSON Perfection1640 Processor 0 0 4 0

You probably need something similar in your microtek.conf or microtek2.conf
file (don't know which w/o rtfm). I don't recall how sane (scanimage)
knows to use my epson.conf file, which may or may not be an important
point, but I'm pretty sure that getting a sane configuration file to
match a driver up with a scsi address is important.

There's also another whole set of nonsense involving the /dev/sg files.
I have the following symbolic links:

  /dev/scanner -> /dev/sgc
  /dev/sgc -> /dev/sg2

Once I figured out which /dev/sg file works (and note that the numbers
don't match the scsi id's; I'll also note that I've seen them move),
I can run (preferably as root, since these files aren't normally
accessible otherwise):

  scanimage -d epson:/dev/sg2

And after that scanimage --list-device seems to remember. (The
/proc/scsi/sg files may somehow tell you what the mapping is, but
offhand I can't tell you how.) Once you know which /dev/sg# file
works, symlink /dev/scanner to it. (I have no idea what /dev/sgc
is doing here.) Also chmod a+rw the file.

Also, I've managed to lose some/all of these settings when new
software is installed, and there may be gremlins going around and
tightening up file permissions, which causes scanimage --list-device
to fail without a helpful error message.

Also, in my case I built sane/xsane from scratch, and patched in an
even later device driver (thanx to a guy in Germany), since my
machine was on the bleeding edge of almost-supported (bled about
every third scanline, in fact). Your milleage may vary.

bbales wrote:

> I have a dual booted Athlon 800MHz box with Adaptec AVA2906 scsi board, a
> scsi zip drive and scsi Microtek E3 scanner.  Running RH 7.2 and win98.  Both
> scanner and zip work with win98.  The Zip drive (on the end of the scsi bus)
> works fine with Linux, but I can't get the scanner recognized.
>
> dmesg indicates it found a scanner, but doesn't recognize it.  RH7.2 comes
> with sane and xsane.  There are several libsane-microtek files (.so, .a, .la,
> etc).  But how do I bind sane-microtek to the scanner?  and what do I put in
> microtek.conf?  I've spent days with the HOWTOs and google and I can't find
> anything useful.
>
> A portion of dmesg follows:
>
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:09.0
> (scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 0/9/0
> (scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 3/255 SCBs
> (scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Ext-50 YES)
> (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 415 instructions downloaded
> scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.2.4/5.2.0
>        <Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter>
>   Vendor:           Model: Scanner           Rev: 1.80
>   Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 04
>   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100 PLUS      Rev: J.66
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> scsi : 0 hosts left.

> > visit http://www.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/