Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Redhat RPM help

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Redhat RPM help
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 01:58:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Bruce Bales wrote:

> Jesse,
> I decided (before I saw this last message of yours) that I was going to have
> to install KDE or Gnome to get everything I needed.  Tried
> twice to get it on the 340 M hard drive and it wasn't big enough.  So I
> swapped in a 1.7 G hard drive in and loaded RH there.

actually you can easily get everything you need w/o GNOME... personally,
on my old slack box, i had gnome and kde installed (fully installed, just
to screw around w/)...  on my freebsd box, i've got only the
gnomelibs-type stuff and then a full kde install...  quite a difference in
hard drive space! :^ )

> While trying to get more space, I combined my / and /home partitions.  This
> destroyed the system on the disk and I never got a system back
> on it.  I am right now trying to put an X system on it in another computer,
> but I got "not enough disk space," three times, so far.

ouch!  nothing like losing your /home dir!  or tar-ing it up before you
install freebsd only to find out you typed /home/glandix/* instead of
/home/glandix for the file list and lost all your "dot-files"! : ^ P

> I very much appreciate all the help.  Hope to see you at a meeting some day,

would love to, but unfortunately my schedule's pretty crazy right now...
soon i'll be moving to hesston to attend college (again) and my wife will
be working as a CNA on the night shift, so there goes the evening
meetings! (unless ACLUG wants to start offering a childcare service!
heehee! : ^ )

hopefully someday when our schedules slow down i'll make it to a meeting
again... it's got to have been almost 2-3 years!

gLaNDix

p.s. i just scrolled down and saw the INCREDIBLY long e-mail...  sorry to
all on the list for forgetting to cut down the size! : ^ )

<<< lloydix.2y.net FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Jul 5 06:16:31 CDT 2001
glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LLOYDIX >>>