Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Redhat RPM help

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Redhat RPM help
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:17:55 -0500 (CDT)

The prereq's rpm (the program) lists when you try to 'rpm -ivh
whatever.rpm' are usually files within another package (rpm) that are
required to install the packge in question...  for instance, Window Maker
is dependant on libPropList...  rather than saying "Window Maker is
dependant on libPropList-0.8.0-i386.rpm" (i just made up the version,
since i'm not sure of the recent release), it will most likely say that
WM is dependant on libPropList.so.2 or something a little more abstract
on more complex libraries...

the easiest thing to do to get the RPMs that the prereq's are included in
is searching on rpmfind.net for "libPropList.so.2" or whatever it lists...
it should find the .rpm file you need to download and install...

you also might want to search on freshmeat.net for rpm or gnorpm which
will find some great GUI programs for installing RPMs...  works very well,
and some (like RPMDrak in Mandrake GNU/Linux) will actually tell you which
rpms are required and offere to download/install them for you...

Hope this helps...  feel free to ask again if this doesn't clarify
anything... it's been quite a while since i've used RH and i've just
recently switched to FreeBSD, so I hope I didn't get my wires crossed when
replying! : ^ )

gLaNDix