Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2001:
[linux-help] Kernel stuff---The Big Picture

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Kernel stuff---The Big Picture
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:20:46 -0600

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a firewall box for my home
LAN.  I've got a few big picture type of
questions.  I'm using Debian.

Both of the HowTos I've been referencing on Firewalls
have me either patching the kernel or compiling a kernel.
Is it generally understood that a generic Kernel
doesn't have the right stuff to be a filtering
proxy/bridge, or is there a simpler way to do this?

The HowTo that tells me to compile a kernel suggest
doing the compiling on a different computer from the
firewall box.  I have a couple computers w/ linux, but
they have completely different hardware.
Seems like this could cause problems.  True?

Nathan