Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Re: no pointing device

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: no pointing device
From: gLaNDix <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 00:22:03 -0500 (CDT)

try plugging in only the keyboard to see if it works on it's own...  then,
to get X to work, you'll need to configure X to use the PS/2 mouse instead
of the Serial mouse...  use xf86config/xf86cfg or just edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config (or wherever RH puts it) directly...  the mouse device
will be /dev/psaux and the protocol depends on the mouse you are using...

i HIGHLY doubt you need to re-install...  it's probably just a minor
config problem which should be fix-able if you can atleast get the keybd
working on it's own...

Good Luck!
gLaNDix

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Marc Bachman wrote:

> Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:07:37 -0500
> From: Marc Bachman <mbachman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [linux-help] no pointing device
>

> I unplugged my serial mouse off my  box and tried to plug in a PS2 mouse
> while kudzu ( RH ) was trying to detect my mouse and now neither my
> mouse( serial or PS2 ) nor my keyboard works in Linux. I tried booting
> from the floppy but I get an error after it says "loading vmlinux"
> something like the kernel image not found. Should I do a reinstall or is
> there a way to fix it without a mouse? I tried to log on without a mouse
> using keyboard buttons but they just don't work. Any Ideas? Thanks in
> Advance, Marc Bachman

<<< Linux lloydix 2.4.4 #3 Mon Jun 4 14:09:46 CDT 2001 i586 unknown >>>

Smithers: [whispers in Jose Canseco's ear]
Jose:     I get $50,000 to play one game?
Smithers: That's right, Mr. Canseco.
Jose:     Well, it's a pay cut, but what the hey.  It sounds like fun.
                -- For love of money, "Homer at the Bat"