Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Re: pci woes...win modem, Ethernet card sound card!

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: pci woes...win modem, Ethernet card sound card!
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 00:14:20 -0500

On Tuesday 05 June 2001 19:27, you wrote:
> I have problems since I upgraded to the new red hat.

Which new RedHat are you using?

> I cannot figure what
> I am doing wrong.  My win modem will not configure on this kernel, it used
> to work on the 2.2.16-20 kernel, but not on my 2.2.216-22 kernel.

Probably because you're using a kernel version that doesn't exist. <grin>
Last I saw, 2.2.19 was the newest 2.2 kernel. If you upgraded to RH 7.1, you
could have gotten a 2.4 kernel. I know they changed how modems are configured
with the 2.4 kernel. You don't need the setserial command for PCI hardware
modems any more (at least not the 2 I've used, a MultiTech and a USR).

Does your winmodem require a special driver from the vendor? If so, do you
have a source or binary distribution of it? If source, did you rebuild it
with the new kernel? If binary, what kernel is it built for? Oh yeah, and
either way, if it was written for use with the 2.2 kernel, it may need
changes to work with 2.4.

> My sound card is claimed not to be supported, it was supported prior to
> that.  And I am not sure why the Ethernet card is not available?

Can you give us more details on the hardware are you using? What did it look
like (lspci -v) under the old kernel (which worked)? How does that compare to
how it looks under the new kernel (which doesn't work)?

Greg