Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2001:
[linux-help] Re: no pointing device

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: no pointing device
From: gLaNDix <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:16:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Marc Bachman wrote:

> > the installation CD in ( RH 7) I  get an error message " unable to mount
> > root fs"......"kernel panic.." or something like that.  I figure now is the

EEK!  gotta hate those! : ^ )  see if RH has a "rescue" option when
you boot from the CD...  my debian discs have saved my butt numerous
times, because of the "rescue" option (even tho' I run slack)...  if it
has a rescue, try that and see if that helps any...  also try typing
'linux 1' at the LILOO prompt to get into single-user mode...  if you can
get to some sort of a shell, you can run fsck and hopefully either
diagnose the problem better or fix the filesystem if that is the problem

> > surprised if it were in there anyway. Is  there an aftermarket book for RH 7
> > that is comprehensive yet? The second problem I would like to address is how

i know there are some "Red Hat Unleashed" books that are pretty
comprehensive (mine's pretty thick!)...  also try out www.linuxdoc.org,
since you may have better luck finding an answer there...

> > to change from the old serial mouse to an optical mouse, provided, of

that shouldn't be hard at all...  1.) plug in the mouse, 2.) configure
XFree86 to use the correct mouse drivers (the gui config works nicely!)
I just upgraded my old 2-button mouse to a Logitech cordless
mouse/keyboard combo today on my FreeBSD box and Igot lucky and
didn't even have to screw w/ XF86Config file... (btw, at $99 @ BestBuy,
the Logitech's pretty sweet!)

If you have any problems/questions, feel free to ask!

gLaNDix

<<< Linux lloydix 2.4.4 #3 Mon Jun 4 14:09:46 CDT 2001 i586 unknown >>>

    Homer: Guess what, kids?  They're going to pay us $50 a day to film
           some of the movie here.
  Crewman: Yeah, we'll run that cable through here.
            [starts hammering into the wall]
    Homer: Careful, now -- [turns around] Hey!  Didn't you direct
           "Unnatural Discretion"?
 Director: [modest] Yes, I did.
    Homer: [holding his news] Phew-ee!  Woo!  Oh!  You know, I never
           walk out of a movie, but -- yecch!
Assistant: Ahem, I've got an idea Mr. Simpson.  Why don't you get
           something to eat from our food truck?
            [Homer flies off; a cloud of dust retains his form]
           Mist -- Mr. Simpson?  [pokes at dust]
                -- Cartoon physics revisited, "Radioactive Man"