Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Re: programming a Linux server

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: programming a Linux server
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:37:06 -0600

On Thursday 15 February 2001 23:25, John wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has found decent howtos or sample code for
> servers (and clients). I need to write a Linux server in C/C++ to
> communicate with a client via TCP/IP, and I need something to get me
> started with establishing the connection, exchanging data (possibly in
> large chunks or files), and designing a client/server protocol. I've not
> found anything suitable so far on the web, but I'll continue to search.
>
> I'm probably not quite ready to try to understand the sendmail or apache
> source code yet...

I have a book from O'Reilly that covers network programming (among other
things) in the Unix environment. "Using C on the Unix System", has a lion on
the cover. It's a small book, talks about C programming in the unix
environment. It's pretty old, I don't know if it's still available or not. I
don't see it on their website, but there are others which look similar, such
as "Practical C Programming".

There are examples in the book I have, enough to get you started anyway. For
more in-depth information, there's the networking series by Douglas Comer,
which is excellent. I think Book 2 covers the sockets programming interface
(can't remember which volume it is, I know volume 1 is the overview and it
covers simple protocols like ftp, telnet, etc).

I don't know if it has specifically that, but a great recommendation for
virtually anyone is "Unix Power Tools". Incredible resource. Gotta save my
pennies to buy my own copy so I can quit borrowing from people at work.

Greg