Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] question..

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] question..
From: Hareesh V H <fd98209@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:37:34 +0530 (IST)

hi! at a discussion, somebody asked me this: the unique ethernet addresses
possible are 2^48 in number. then, what is the point in going for 128 bit
addressing for IPv6 and the like, and i thought that ethernet is just one
of the hardware technologies around, with all others like fddi, cddi, atm,
proNET etc, remaining and so this magic number 2^48 does not hold. more,
what about the 1000s of mobile hosts and tens of 1000s of people
connecting from behind the phone lines using PPP? i thought that TCP/IP
was/is still hardware independent and that is one of its major pluses. i
would be obliged if someone could provide me with a more refined answer to
the question above. hope its not another FAQ!

regards,
Hareesh.