Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Road Runner cable service

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Road Runner cable service
From: J T <kovar_the_squishy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 06:26:02 -0800 (PST)

--- "John M. Resler" <jmresler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>RR mail seems to be
> exceptionally slow
> lately and I think their machines are letting the
> dynamic IP addresses
> go stale far too often without refreshing. As a
> result I periodically
> have to reboot ( every 36 hours or so) and the
> system requests an IP
> address (I believe that's how it works anyway) and
> then everything is ok
> for another couple of days or so.

I have not had this experience.  At least in my aresa
performance has been very fast.  I have gotten ISo
images for the new Red Hat beta in about 20 min each.
The IP's don't refresh here except for about every 2
months, and they tend to be semi static in that the
only time that they updatethe IP's is if they lose
contact with your cable modem for a while.

Setup is easy enough.  Just get a hub and tell your
computer to use DHCP.  If your computer can boot into
windows for while the guy is there, it would be best.
They are a bit... ummm... frightened of Linux.  I
think the technicians see it as you being close to
their level of knowledge about computers or
somehting... but they get nervous.  I know this
because the installation guy said he'd hook up my
other computers ifI wanted to, but I told him they
were unix machines and he left quivering, telling me I
was on my own with them.

Truth be told though it was 4 times easier getting
linux up than it was getting fuckin windows to get an IP.