Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Road Runner cable service

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Road Runner cable service
From: "John M. Resler" <jmresler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 23:41:38 -0600

If you know enough to setup DNS and the BIND system or can get help, I'd
recommend it over RR. I have RR but it is all DHCP and for the same
price, I'd much prefer the IP addresses of DSL but RR was here first and
I just haven't changed. FWIW, RR mail seems to be exceptionally slow
lately and I think their machines are letting the dynamic IP addresses
go stale far too often without refreshing. As a result I periodically
have to reboot ( every 36 hours or so) and the system requests an IP
address (I believe that's how it works anyway) and then everything is ok
for another couple of days or so.

-JR

Ryan Claycamp wrote:

> I am looking at making the leap to broadband and it seems that Road
> Runner would work best for me.  I would like to know what the
> experiences of the people on the list are with the service and how it
> works with Linux.  Do you let the cable people know you have Linux?
> Is self-installation the best route?  Should I buy or rent the cable
> modem?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan
> --
> "Men are from Macs.  Women are from VMS." Erwin, User Friendly
> http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99dec/19991203.html

Whoever tells a lie cannot be pure in heart -- and only the pure in heart
can make a good soup.
                -- Ludwig Van Beethoven