Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2001:
[linux-help] Re: One-way-telnet

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: One-way-telnet
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 00:11:03 -0600

Jeff Vian wrote:

> I would be concerned with why there is no inetd.conf file.  Maybe you
> installed the os without all the networking tools.
> Is inetd even installed?  /usr/sbin/inetd
> also /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

Looks like I'd better reload red hat.  Neither of these files is in /usr/bin.

> On the box that won't allow the connection, check if inetd is even running.
> You can use the ps command for that.

ps -e lists a bunch of jobs, but not inetd.  ps-r lists just tty2.

> Verify the configuration to allow telnet in inetd.conf.
> It may be configured in the rc directory to not start a boot time
>     /etc/rc.d/rc3.d

This will take me some time - I'm not much with bash.  Probably just better off
to reload RH.

> > I commented out the GATEWAY lines.  No effect.
>
> Did you reboot after modifying the network file?

No.

> Commenting out the two lines I referenced then rebooting should eliminate
> the extra gateway entry in routing when you reboot.
> You should not edit proc entries because they are dynamic and change to
> whatever the configuration files specify every time you reboot.

I'm learning, but at a rmarkably slow pace.  Maybe I'll get there someday.
 Guess I'll wait til tomorrow afternoon to reload,

Thanks  a bunch,  bruce