Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2001:
[linux-help] [off-topic] Free DSL

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] [off-topic] Free DSL
From: Jeremy King <soapboxalpha@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:21:25 -0800 (PST)

A friend of mine is going to be getting a free dsl
service (www.winfire.com) set up (not here, in Tampa).
 the only problem is, he would like to share out his
connection to a small LAN.  While thls would be easy
enough using IPmasq on a linux box, he has not yet
seen the light--he'll use a dsl router to share the
connection with his windows boxen.  My question is
related to the dsl modems that the service seems to
require--one is an internal PCI modem, and the other
is an external usb modem.  How could you get such a
modem to interoperate with a standard DSL router?
Unless I don't have a clue (which is probable) the
router should be sitting between the modem and the
computer--but no router will accept a usb connection
(or have an open PCI slot, for that matter).  Any
ideas?  Is this service designed to be used with a
single computer only, or can he ditch the "required"
modem and use a normal external modem instead?

Thanks for the help...
Jeremy