Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2001:
[linux-help] Re: One-way-telnet

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: One-way-telnet
From: Jeff Vian <jvian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 19:50:51 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 7:01 PM

> Jeff Vian wrote:
>
> > 1.  Unless you have a telnet server running on the windows box you can't
> > telnet to it.
>
> I'll try to find out later how to start a telnet server on the windows
box.

> > 2.  On the RH box check hosts.allow (as was said), and check that telnet
is
> > enabled. Look in /etc/inetd.conf
>
> I corrected hosts.allow - no help.
> The client has no /etc/inetd.conf.  Can I just copy the file from the
gateway
> machine?

If there is no /etc/inetd.conf file then inetd will not run.  You can copy
one from the other box if needed and edit it for the settings you want.
If necessary you can start inetd from the command line for testing.
I would be concerned with why there is no inetd.conf file.  Maybe you
installed the os without all the networking tools.
Is inetd even installed?  /usr/sbin/inetd
also /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

On the box that won't allow the connection, check if inetd is even running.
You can use the ps command for that.
Verify the configuration to allow telnet in inetd.conf.
It may be configured in the rc directory to not start a boot time
    /etc/rc.d/rc3.d

> > Also try telneting from the RH box to itself. That will let you know if
the
> > RH box is setup to accept telnet.
>
> The gateway machine can telnet itself.  The client says, "unable to
connect:
> connection refused."
>
> > 3.  However, I suspect routing is the problem.
> > I do not see a default route on what you sent.
> > Actually I see two gateways listed. ( the lines with UG in the FLAGS
> > column ), and these point to BOTH NICs.
> > You should have one gateway listed as default, and the cable connection
is
> > correctly trying to assign a default route on eth0.
>
> Apparently "netstat -r" and "route -e" provide the same thing.  I got my
route
> table with "route -en"  If I use "route -e" the 0.0.0.0 is replaced by
> "default."  Names replace the decimal dotted IP numbers.  (Using -en gives
an
> instantaneous reply; using -e delays printing the last line about 30 or
more
> seconds.)
>
> The additional gateway listed in the route table comes from netconf.  In
my
> fumbling around with netconf, I added a "gateway to additional networks,"
and
> now I can't get rid of it.  Netconf has an add button, but no delete.  The
route
> table appears to be in /proc/net/route.  Normal editing doesn't seem to
work in
> /proc, so I have no idea how to delete the second gateway entry.
>
> > The lines in /etc/sysconfig/network file for the default gateway on eth1
is
> > likely the problem.
>
> I commented out the GATEWAY lines.  No effect.

Did you reboot after modifying the network file?
Commenting out the two lines I referenced then rebooting should eliminate
the extra gateway entry in routing when you reboot.
You should not edit proc entries because they are dynamic and change to
whatever the configuration files specify every time you reboot.