Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: cd burner

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: cd burner
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:34:12 -0600

If I recall correctly, (6.2 howto, so might be out of date) you must compile
the kernel with 1- both ide-cdrom (cdrom) and ide-scsi as modules, 2-ide-scsi
built in.
The reason is that the cdrom module grabs it at boot and will not give it up.
 (Supposedly older versions of cdrecord supported ide, but moved to an all
sg/ide-scsi method) So you either have to recompile the kernel.
Additionally, you have to add hdd=ide-scsi to the "kernel command line"
(which is lilo, milo, loadlin, or something not in wide use).  for example:
LILO:linux hdd=ide-scsi

If anyone ever has a problem look in /usr/share/doc/HOWTO or /usr/doc/HOWTO,
as it solves most problems I have run across, or goto www.linuxdoc.org

James L

btw, I am looking for something like milo, which can go through the
filesystems and select the kernel to boot on alphas, for x86 (loadlin
doesn't count)