Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Re: cd burner

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: cd burner
From: Ben Bunck <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:31:34 -0600

Try typing (as root)

insmod sg
cdrecord -scanbus

I don't know exactly under what circumstances one has to recompile the kernel
to get ide-scsi emulation to work...I seem to remember NOT having to do that
with the Mandrake 7.2 system I used to run...it asked me during install if I
had any scsi devices, I said yes, and then I told it what modules I needed.
For the RHL 6.2 system I'm using now, I ended up recompiling the kernel.

Anyway, check out these two links if the above doesn't help.  The first
contains some documents about using cdrecord...it should tell you what you
may need to do to get linux to recognize your cd writer correctly.  The
second is a step by step process to compiling the kernel, which I found very
helpful for myself a few weeks ago:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/man/cdr_readme.html

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/compiling/kernelcomp.html