Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: December 2000:
[linux-help] Lynx/Fetchmail Connection Problem -

To: "linux-help@xxxxxxxxx" <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Lynx/Fetchmail Connection Problem -
From: BOB GOODWIN <w2bod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 07:51:11 -0500

I have a '486 with a minimal Red Hat 5.2 installation on it.
It appears that it is connecting to AT&T all right,
satisfying their CHAP requirements since it will stay
connected for atleast a minute and a half an then
disconnects normally on "ppp-off." But Fetchmail and Lynx
never seem to know that the connection is established?

Fetchmail reports -

POP3 connection to postoffice.worldnet.att.net failed:
temporary nameserver error

fetchmail: Query status=2

Lynx reports -

Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://rushlimbaugh.com/

I've been looking for my problem for two days and whatever
it is evades me?  For the most part it looks  pretty much
like the installation on this box which works perfectly but
obviously I am missing something. I've had problems when
/etc/resolv.conf was not in the right directory [was in
etc/ppp/] but it looks ok.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Bob Goodwin - Durant, Florida

Red Hat Linux release 7.0