Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Printer on Red Hat 6.2

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Printer on Red Hat 6.2
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:59:58 -0500

I added /lp to /var/spool/lpd/
On the Mandrake machine, /lp had five or six files, so I copied them and put
them into the
new /lp on the RH box.  One of the files is called "filter" and it points to a
number (12)
of .fpi files in /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/.  To my surprize, the RH box
has all of
them.  They are named "gif-to-pnm.fpi" and other things to pnm and one is
"pnm-to-ps.fpi".

I presume these change all the different formats to pnm and then pnm to
postscript.

I changed printcap back just like the Mandrake box.  See below.

I think I have the RH box just like the Mandrake, which works with this
printer, but I still
get unknown printer when I try to print.

How can I determine if printing is enabled in the kernel?

##PRINTTOOL3##  LOCAL cdj670 300x300 letter {} DeskJet670 Default 1
 lp:\
      :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
      :mx#0:\
      :sh:\