Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Laptop Installation of Linux

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Laptop Installation of Linux
From: Michael Holmes <maholmes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:31:57 -0500

Take a deep breath, and grab a pot of coffee.  Your absolute best place to
start is the Linux-Laptop_HowTo  Please make sure of spelling it is included on
almost all dist in the documents.    Or go to RedHat server and follow links.
Either way, you will end up at the server in texas university.  It is the
headquarters for lap top installs.  What I did was go to the data base and find
my model and brand on the data base.  I then looked at the typical  installs
given.  I put it on a toshiba 1960.  I found 10 different entries on how it was
installed.  I printed out all ten.  Please post on how you did it so the next
guy can benifiet from your toil!  :-)  I will look up the link after I get off
work.  If you cannot get your cdrom to work, slackware has a floppy install,
even on version 7  I have version 7 & 3.2 both have the floppy install.  once
you get the basic install, it finds the cdrom, and then you just run setup to
finsih xwindows and all the other fun stuff.

Please start with the HowTo for laptops.. Critical information is included,
which is particular to laptops.  I managed to squeze linux with
xwindows(fmvw95) and windoze95(including autocad & office 97) onto a 850 meg
hd.  It is tight, but it all fits and has room to move.  When you set up the
kernel config ***IMPORTANT*** make sure you load the modules necessary for
laptop  *******PCMCIA****** I forgot the first time, and I could not access my
net card or cdrom, or modem!!!!!*********OR MOUSE**** Mouse is run through the
pcmcia chip!!!!!!

Mike

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> I have a COMPAC 5280 that I would like to use with Linux but I'm
> uncertain as to how to install it. I've bought a fresh hard drive so
> that I can use the machine either with Windows or Linux simply by
> choosing the proper hard drive (it will only accomodate one at a time).
> I have a floppy and a backpack CDROM. The instructions given with "Linux
> for Dummies" doesn't seem to apply for my system. Is there a way to
> install Linux on my system?
>
> Thanks     Bill

Michael A. Holmes